AGING OUT PROGRAM (Anticipated 2018)
We are committed to improving the potential of youth in our area!
The Plainfield YMCA is pleased to announce an innovative program to provide housing for youth aging out of the foster care system. Youth transitioning out of the foster care system are at a higher risk for unemployment, poor educational outcomes, health issues, early parenthood and long-term dependency on public assistance, often resulting in increased rates of incarceration, and homelessness. This new program will provide safe transitional housing along with intensive support services, enabling participants to successfully transition to independence and adulthood.
The project involves the renovation of the top two floors of the existing campus currently located at 518 Watchung Avenue in Plainfield and will create 30 affordable individual efficiency units designed specifically for youth between the ages of 18-24 years.
Anticipated Date: Summer 2018
Key features of the Aging Out Program:
- Each efficiency apartment will have a private kitchen and bathroom with Energy Star appliances.
- Modern amenities such as 24 hour security, private elevator access, secured entry, multipurpose rooms, a resident lounge, instructional kitchen and common laundry facilities will also be onsite.
- Also included; office space for property management and support service functions, on-site parking, updated site lighting, and attractive landscaping.
- Energy-saving measures and green features will also be incorporated in the project’s design to foster a healthy living environment and lower project operating costs.
Aged-out youth will be required to meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Aged-out youth must be on a track to advance their career through current employment or enrollment in school or job training program.
- All program residents will be required to pay rent for the units. Through project-based rental subsidies residents will not have to pay more than 30% of their household income. Residents will have access to case management and a comprehensive package of support services. Access to support services will be provided to residents free of charge by the Plainfield YMCA and other community service providers.